Monday, April 19, 2010

Blog Topic #9



The billionaire I chose is #8, 53 year old Eike Batista. I read his profile and decided I wanted to know more about him. The first thing that caught my eye was that he is a self-made billionaire. I like the fact that he worked for his money and didn't inherit it. As I read on, I decided there wasn't much else I liked. His net worth of $27 billion comes from mining and oil. He resides in Rio de Janeiro, is a divorced father of two, and a college dropout. His ex-wife is a former Playboy cover girl, which is probably why it ended. Police raided his home in 2008, alleging Batista smuggled gold and unfairly influenced the acquisition of a railroad, but he never suffered any consequences. Not the greatest resume for a billionaire. However, when it comes to cash he isn't doing too bad. This year alone he added $19.5 billion to his personal account. His goal is to be the richest man in the world. He obviously isn't doing too bad, but he is still about $26.5 billion short. Batista got his start in the gold trade. I'm guessing he learned from his father who was a member of mining royalty to some extent. Batista founded the oil-and-gas exploration company, OGX, in 2007 and that's where 2/3 of his profits come from. It is likely that we will see him moving up the Forbes list in the future.

Eike's ex-wife, Luma de Oliveira

No comments:

Post a Comment